Finisterra

Finisterra
Isthmus, Catalina

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Welcome to Tenecatita

Bright and early this morning (8:30 ish) we were welcomed to Tenecatita by the Mexican Navy.  I was at the computer when I heard a dinghy motoring by.  Looking out the port, I saw a dinghy full of men with machine guns heading our way and waving.  Not to be unneighborly, I waved back and they instantly came over, tied up to our stern and all 5 boarded us, all with machine guns.  They inspected our paperwork, wrote down a myriad of details and took pictures of our radios.  I have no idea about the radios, but thankfully Leif carried on a pleasant conversation with them and they were equally pleasant to us.  In spite of the weapons, they were courteous and efficient, and afterwards we wished each other good day and off they went to the next boat.  I have to say it was a little nerve wracking to have them on board.  This was the second time we have talked with the Mexican Navy, the other was in Bahia Santa Maria and they stayed on their launch with the barbette mounted machine gun pointed at our boat.  They were polite and pleasant as well.  I have to say that all the hoopla about Mexican authorities being unpleasant has not been the case for us so far.  They have been great to deal with, much more friendly than any other countries that we dealt with.  That was evident on our return from Panama, as the smiles returned to the faces of the people with whom we spoke. 

1 comment:

  1. I would have been peeing in my pants. Enough excitement for one day!!! Glad you are safe.

    --Joanne

    ReplyDelete