Finisterra

Finisterra
Isthmus, Catalina

Monday, January 21, 2013

January 2013, Inauguration Day

It's January, Inauguration Day, or rather Inauguration Day 2.  We have been busy improving Finisterra, and not sailing much.  So far, Leif has: fixed the auto-pilot by installing a larger arm which can handle the loads better.  Torn out the cockpit table and is currently redesigning a new one of smaller proportions.  Redesigned the dodger, and ordered new canvas all around.  Bought a new RIB dinghy, of which we have yet to launch.  Hung my 5 fishing rods in the aft cabin.  Hung sheet bags in the aft cabin for tools.  Tore out the cute curtains and installed pull down disappearing shades.  Replaced the windlass after determining that the casing for the old one was pretty rotten.  Had to build a mounting bracket of course.  Installed a new anchor chain stop, which he designed and built out of teak.  Installed new tie-down pad eyes for the dinghy on the foredeck.  Bought a new Garmin GPS that will be mounted on the new cockpit table.  Bought a new knife block for me and installed it along with a papertowel holder in the galley.  We had molas made into place mats and pillows, and a new table cover ordered. 
So, we've been busy, or Leif has.  I've resealed the teak toe rails several times, and wash the boat incessantly.  And of course am the chief tool passer and runner, flashlight holder and cheer leader. 
Leif and Steve at the start of the "Crew of Two".
 
On a different note, as I was walking along the riverbed with the dogs yesterday I recalled my state of mind when we had just returned from Mexico.  It was MUCH different than now.  I vividly remember walking along and seeing the birds, watching them dive and fly off.  Seeing the flora and fauna, and having wonder about it.  My mind was relaxed, open and more thoughtful towards life.  Driving was not as frantic, as now I'm well into the manic patterns of Southern California.  Sad.  Not that life here is awful, it's not.  But it's definitely not as awe inspiring as travelling on our boat, meeting new people, seeing events for the first time.  My goal is to find the awe inspiring things each day, and get back the wonder-full mind set that I had. 

1 comment:

  1. I can empathize with your feelings. I found that after even just two months 'at sea' my mind was in a different place when we returned home. It is too quickly getting back into 'land' mode which makes me look forward to our longer planned sail next year.

    ReplyDelete